Houston, TX – According to CultureMap Houston, Mayor Annise Parker wants to answer our questions on any subject we choose. We will have the opportunity to ask our questions during a live web chat with Mayor Parker on Monday, April 29 from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
Considering BARC’s ever increasing KILL RATES (see below), I have a few questions for Parker about her No Kill promises that she has yet to keep (read more about her promises here):
In 2010, BARC had a 55.33% Kill Rate
In 2011, BARC had a 56.20% Kill Rate
In 2012, BARC had a 57.27% Kill Rate
Here are a few of my questions for Annise Parker:
1) You have made repeated promises to citizens, including during your election campaign, that you would do everything in your power to transition Houston to a No Kill city. Yet, after 3+ years in office, records show that the KILL RATE at Houston’s taxpayer funded animal control (i.e. BARC) has actually INCREASED every single year that you have been in office. I would like to know when you plan to keep your No Kill promises to citizens?
2) In 2009, the international No Kill expert, Nathan Winograd, gave you a 196 page step-by-step guide which tells you exactly how to increase BARC’s Save Rates. Why have you completely ignored Mr. Winograd’s recommendations for more than 3 years and allowed BARC’s Kill Rates to INCREASE every year that you have been in office?
3) You know that the most important element to stop the killing of shelter pets is a hard working shelter director who is dedicated to saving lives and who will vigorously implement all of the steps of the No Kill model of sheltering. So, why have you hired a shelter director who is not dedicated to saving lives? Why have you hired a shelter director who does not even work at BARC’s facility full time? Why have you hired a shelter director who has been responsible for BARC’s ever increasing Kill Rate, yet you have done nothing to rectify this problem?
4) Volunteers and rescuers are the backbone of shelters and absolutely necessary to saving lives. Yet, at least five volunteers and rescuers have been banned from BARC since you have been in office. Some have been banned for simply asking questions. I would like to point out that not only is this a huge waste of resources i.e. tax dollars and free labor, but it is also illegal. Why have you allowed this wasteful and illegal activity, that costs lives, to continue under your administration?
5) Considering that you have totally and completely failed to keep your promises to citizens and voters during 2 terms in office, why should we vote for you again this November?
I sincerely hope that everyone will ask Mayor Parker serious questions about her failures regarding BARC as well*. She needs to hear from all you.
It is imperative that she knows how many of us care deeply about this issue and that we have not forgotten her No Kill promises.
She also needs to know that we all VOTE.
The lives of the animals at BARC depend on us.
*You can copy my questions if you wish, but please try to change them so they are not the exact same questions over and over.
Thank you for standing up for the animals.
If you wish to receive an email notification each time I post a new blog here, please click the small Follow link in the bottom right corner of your screen. (Note: you can only see the link if you are reading this from my blog site. The link does not show if you are reading this from the email version)